August 28, 2014

I'm Here!

Okay so remember how I said that I wasn't going to blog for my first few weeks here? Well let's just say that idea has kinda been thrown out of the window. I've only been here for about six days, and I'm already writing...

I'm really tired (I actually fell asleep while writing this), so I'm going to keep this post relatively short. I arrived in Jakarta very late on Friday night. The six of us Americans were the last of the students to arrive (think 2 am) at Taman Mini Indonesia Indah, which is where we stayed for the three days of orientation. By the way, Taman Mini is a really cool place. It's a miniature version of Indonesia and a great way to see some of Indonesia's diversity.

I believe this is part of the Bali section

Orientation was over on Monday night, and we all left for our host communities on Tuesday morning. I was picked up by Yuka's very nice host family, and I had my first taste of sate while in Indonesia while on the way to Bandung. It was very enak! When we got to Bandung, we stopped off so that I could go home the rest of the way with my family's driver. I wouldn't say that the car ride was awkward, but I felt bad not being able to communicate with him. Once I arrived here, I met some members of my host family and went out to dinner with my host sisters.

View from my window

Yesterday, like today, I was really tired, so I slept a lot. I stayed home for most of the day, but I went out with my host brother and two cousins or something. Even though it was only my fifth day here, I tried street food. I know, I know that wasn't the best idea. However, I didn't get sick from it, and I really liked it! Speaking of food, I feel bad because my host family thinks that I don't like the food because I don't eat a ton. In reality, I really like all of the food. My stomach just can't hold it! Saya kenyang might just have to become one of my favorite phrases.

Even though I have been here for almost a week, it is still weird to think that I am actually in Indonesia. It is a very beautiful country, and I cannot imagine going anywhere else for exchange. For everyone that has yet to come to Indonesia, I guess I should describe what it is like right now. The call to prayer is going off as I write this. The rain just ended, and the sun is beginning to appear from behind the clouds. There is a rooster crowing in the background, and my little host niece is downstairs screaming about whatever it is that one year olds scream about.

I don't know when I'll blog again, but I think I'll write the next post about trying to learn three languages at once. Yes, it is as hard as it sounds.

Sampai jumpa lagi!

Indonesian Word of the Day: Malu - Shy (This is often said about my host niece and nephew)

Coldplay - A Sky Full of Stars 
I think this song will forever remind me of Indonesia!

No comments:

Post a Comment