April 18, 2014

It's Official! (I said yes to YES!)

That's right, I have officially accepted the YES Abroad scholarship for Indonesia. I'm super excited about my decision, and I'm also really excited for the CBYX alternate who will now get to go to Germany. From the beginning, I wanted YES more, but I know that Germany would have been amazing too. I just feel like Indonesia is the place for me. I honestly can't even describe what it is about Indonesia, but I just know that I am supposed to go there.

Since my last post was so short, I'll tell you a little bit more about my finalist notification. As (I hope) you read, we all thought that notifications were going to come out on April 11th. However, they did not. I'm actually really glad that they didn't though. I highly doubt that I would have been able to concentrate during my ACT! The next day, April 12th, I woke up early to drop my brother and his friend off for a track meet and take my ACT. When I finished with my test, I went outside to call my parents and let them know that I was done early. As I was waiting for my dad, I realized that I had TONS of Facebook messages from a group chat that I was in with some other semi-finalists. I was kinda confused, so I asked them what was going on. They told me that rejection and alternate emails were being sent out and that two of my friends had been rejected. I don't want to sound overly dramatic or anything, but my heart seriously started racing. I checked my email, and there was nothing there. I told my friends that, and they told me that was a good thing but to check my spam folder just in case (there was nothing there). By the time I could see my dad coming down the street to pick me up, I was freaking out. As far as we knew, only one person had received a notification, and it was for Bosnia. When I got in the car, my dad told me that I had a package from the State Department waiting for me at home. That could only mean one thing..my passport finally came!

Once I got home, a few more people had been notified of their finalist status. One of my friends even found out that she was going to Bosnia! Because that day was Global Youth Service Day, I did not have much time to do anything before my event, so I quickly got changed and ate some food. After a little while, I decided to check my phone. Another one of my friends said that she was going to Indonesia, which was my top choice. Even though my mom pretty much told me not to check my email until after my Global Youth Service Day event, my sister persuaded me to do otherwise. As soon as I refreshed my email, I saw an email titled "YES Abroad Program- Indonesia." Not gonna lie, I started completely freaking out. I jumped up and down and screamed. Not only had I received the YES Abroad scholarship but I was also awarded the scholarship in my top choice country. HOW CRAZY IS THAT. Even as I write this, I still cannot believe it. When I finally calmed down enough to open the email, this is what it said:

Dear Victoria,

Congratulations!  We are pleased to inform you that you have been selected as a Finalist for a 2014-15 Kennedy-Lugar Youth Exchange and Study (YES) Abroad scholarship for study in Indonesia!  The YES Abroad program is funded by the U.S. Department of State, and administered by the YES Consortium, led by American Councils for International Education in partnership with AFS Intercultural Programs (AFS), the American-Mideast Educational and Training Service (AMIDEAST) and the International Education and Resource Network (iEARN). American Councils manages the overall operations of the YES Abroad program, and the program implementer in Indonesia is AFS.  Please understand that your assignment to the YES Abroad program in Indonesia is subject to your fulfillment of all medical, placement, academic and visa requirements, and the ability of the overseas partner organization to place and enroll you as a student.

Many outstanding students applied to this prestigious program, and final selection was extremely competitive. Your demonstration of personal and academic excellence indicates you have the potential to become an outstanding youth ambassador for the United States. You and your family should be extremely proud that you have been selected as a YES Abroad scholar.  The YES Abroad program is an excellent opportunity to begin your global exploration and to gain a stronger understanding of international affairs and U.S. relations with Indonesia. You will have the opportunity to learn the language spoken in the city where you live, enhance your personal and cross-cultural communication skills, and forge lasting bonds with new friends and mentors.

During our first conference call, we were notified that everyone going to Indonesia will be departing for New York on August 18th. That's exactly 4 months from today! That honestly seems so far away, but I know that the time will fly. Just thinking about it is crazy. I will be done school in a little under two months. I really want to make sure that I value and enjoy the time that I have left here. These are my last few months as a typical high school student. When I get back, I will only have about a month before my freshman year of college starts (we get back in July). One of my friends and I have decided to make a summer bucket list. I'm not sure what will be on it, but I'm excited for this summer! 

Going back to YES, I guess I should mention that the national pre-departure orientation (PDO) will take place in a little over two months. It actually starts on my birthday! 

I really need to finish my history notes, so I have to go now. I'll write again soon. Hopefully I will have some additional information! 

No comments:

Post a Comment