November 30, 2014

Thanksgiving in Indonesia

Well first off I'd like to acknowledge the fact that I have been in Indonesia for over 3 months! (I actually wrote a tiga bulan post in Indonesian, tapi saya sedikit malu...aka I didn't post it.) However, this (super short) post is going to be about my Thanksgiving in Indonesia. I guess the title of this post is actually a little bit misleading though. I didn't really do anything traditional for Thanksgiving. Instead, I spent my last day in the class I was visiting and decided to Skype a couple of the other YES Abroad students. In order to get our minds off of Thanksgiving, what did we do? We listened to Christmas music, of course! Well that we obviously talked too. It's always great to talk to the other Americans (and all the other exchange students) because even though each of our experiences is unique, there are so many commonalities! Plus sometimes it's just nice to talk to some of the few people who are also getting a little homesick on a holiday that none of the other exchange students celebrate.

Anyway after that, I had a very traditional dinner of chicken and rice (okay so not traditional but delicious). Then I actually decided to talk to my family in the US. It's always so weird to think about the fact that we have a 12 hour time difference. While I was sitting in bed half asleep, they were watching the Thanksgiving parade and cooking some of the dishes for the day. As bad as it probably sounds, I think I realized that the food was really the thing that I was missing the most that day. It's not that I don't miss my family. I just feel like Indonesia is the place where I belong until July!

And that's my very interesting post about what I did on Thanksgiving. I'm sorry that this post is very, very short, but I plan on posting again in the very near future karena saya sudah tinggal seratus hari di Indonesia!

Indonesian Word of the Day: Bilang - To say

Nat King Cole - The Christmas Song


No comments:

Post a Comment